We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travellers to give back to the communities they are visiting and make a lasting impact. By saving just a few kilos of space in their suitcase, they can bring much-needed school supplies and make a significant impact on the lives of local children and families.
We support two schools through the Pack for a Purpose initiative, Dingani Primary School in Zimbabwe and Masongora Primary School in Uganda.
children and families
HOW TO: Simply leave some extra space in your luggage (a good placeholder for any items you might purchase on your trip) and pack in some of the supplies listed below. Or during your trip these items can be purchased and handed to the guide who will ensure delivery to the relevant school.
DINGANI PRIMARY SCHOOL
- General: Exercise books, pencils, pens
- Flash Cards: Alphabet, Math, and Word
- Reading books: Age-Appropriate Story Books (English)
- Art Supplies: Colored Pencils, Crayons, Acrylic Paints and Brushes, Coloring Books
- General School Supplies: Chalk, College-Ruled Paper, Erasers, Glue Sticks, Handheld Pencil Sharpeners, Rulers, Wide-Ruled Paper
- Reference Materials: (English) Dictionaries
- Laminated Wall Charts: (English) Language and Math
- Text/Reading Books: (English) Biology, General Science, Health, Language/Grammar, and Math
- Computer Hardware/Software: Working Laptops
- Educational Games/Toys: Bananagrams, Connect Four, Jigsaw Puzzles, and Scrabble
- Sports/Outdoor Activity: Inflation Pumps, Jump Ropes, Netball/Basketballs, and Soccer Balls
- First Aid/Health: Antibiotic Ointment, and Band-Aids
MASONGORA PRIMARY SCHOOL
Masongora Primary School is situated in the hard-to-reach Masongora Parish, Kabende Sub County in Kabarole district near to Semuliki National Park in Uganda. The school has over 400 pupils, ranging from pre-school up to Grade 6, with only 11 teachers. In 2016 the President of Uganda visited the area and decided to rebuild the school to provide a concrete shelter for learning to take place. The school is in dire need of basic school and learning apparatus.
Changes that have already taken place at the school:
- New building transforming the school from mud huts into a block building with toilet facilities and shelter from environmental factors (rain, sun)
- From one teacher to 11 teachers
- Appreciation from the community that their children are off the streets with hope of a brighter future through education.
Below is a list of the priority items:
- General items: chalk, pens, pencils, exercise, rulers, erasers, reading books
- Clothing: Uniform
- Health: Sanitary towels & hand washing facilities
- Infrastructure: School Library
- First Aid: School nurse